Advice from a teenage survivor

Friday, February 1, 2013

Let me tell you why you're special





Everybody's special. 
Now I don't know about you, but I've had a hard time being able to express myself, hence the talking Peeta. And lately I've been coming across people that don't think they're good at anything, and I can't begin to tell them how wrong they are! Two of the people that said this were both gymnasts, and good ones too. They said that they weren't good at anything, when they could do a back hand-spring like nobody I've ever seen.

And you might think the same about yourself, I know I do. But everybody in this entire world has at least one thing they they're the best at. 

Maybe you already know what you're the best at, in which case you're incredibly lucky. Some people spend their entire lives looking for this one thing that they can do better than almost everybody, when it's been right in front of them, invisible to ignorant eyes. And don't get me wrong, you can be the best at more than one thing, but let's just focus on that one thing you absolutely own at. 

Sometimes the odds aren't in your favor. For instance, my dad loves playing golf, it's his passion. But he's the best mechanic I've ever seen. So while he's working on cars, doing what he's best at, he has to sacrifice what he loves doing, because he can't make a living off of shooting 74. So there are cases where the thing you're best at isn't what you love. But most of the time, no matter what it is as long as you're doing better than everybody, it's at least a little enjoyable. 

I've been spending a while looking for mine. I've nearly given up, and I'm hoping that when the time comes, it's what I hope it'll be--but I haven't had the chance to show my talents yet. I'm really good--but not the best--with instruments. I'm good at writing. I'm good at listening, and I'm good at taking risks. I could go on, and these things are wonderful, but I just want to find that something that I excel at. 

What are you good at? Are you good at drawing, painting, building, singing, reading, chess, horse-racing? I want you to challenge yourself to find that thing if you haven't. Try everything, take classes, take every opportunity you can find. You won't regret it, and finding people that are willing to do something is a rarity. 

So, back on topic; Everybody's special. Everybody has something they excel at, and everybody has a place on this earth and the power to change it. All you have to do is take that risk, take a leap of faith; and you never know what might happen. You could be the one people look up on wikipedia.

 I'd give more examples but I don't know who you are--and only you have the power to change that. 

-Evie♥


No comments:

Post a Comment