Advice from a teenage survivor

Sunday, January 27, 2013

#4 Tell Dad My Dream

1-21-13

1. Dance in the rain.
2. Get my driver's license
3. Hug my best friend♥
4. Tell dad my dream
5. Save a life
6. Make them remember me.
7. Learn an entire song on piano
8. Learn an entire song on guitar
9. Meet somebody famous
10. Shoot hoops with my friends
11. Have a memorable year
12. Sneak into a movie
13. Decorate my room
14. Wear a shirt that says "Life" and give out lemons on the street
15. Work harder than I ever have 
16. Make a stranger laugh
17. Give a homeless person $20 
18. Be recognized for something I did
19. Stay up all night
20. Write compliments on paper and give them to strangers
21. Hike a mountain and scream at the top of it
22. Believe in myself
23. Get in trouble
24. Pass my permit test 
25. Live



This was a really difficult one for me. But I got it done. 
So, what is my dream? To become a professional singer/songwriter/musician. And I want to make it, I don't want to just be another local performer. So why was telling my dad of all people so difficult?

So, growing up, my mom always forced me to do things. She forced me to practice piano and to practice singing and to do chores on time. Now, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you--I'm stubborn as hell--and I really don't like being told what to do. Now, my dad is a really dedicated teacher. It's not his job, (he's a mechanic) but anything we do, he likes to help in any way he can. And sometimes, it gets a little suffocating. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my father. But since I was always told what to do when I was younger, I kinda gained this...independence, you could say. Now, I only don things in my own time when I want to, and a music career is the number one thing I want to accomplish by myself. 

Now I don't know why telling him scared me so much. I never told him anything having to do with my future career, and I became comfortable with that. Well one day a few weeks ago, my brother and I were talking about our future plans. And I didn't want to tell him mine since him and my dad are close, but it slipped out. So he decided he'd tell dad most of my plan since I was so scared to, but we had to do it asap, because if I couldn't even tell my dad, how would I do it? 

So, on monday, dad and my brother took me to a golf tournament my brother had. Now, it's a pretty huge deal since it was one of his first professional tournaments (his dream is to become a future PGA player) and he said that on the way home he'd start it up. 
They day goes by, me dreading the ride home of course, and he didn't play very well so none of us were in a very good mood. So he strikes up the conversation while I was picking up the peanuts I dropped in the car, and I instantly started crying. Not the loud kind, the silent kind where you just stare into oblivion, completely under your emotion's will. So my brother basically told him everything. But the thing is, my dad was so, completely understanding. The thing he was mad about was the fact that I was so scared to tell him. But once it was out, the relief I felt....it was unimaginable. 
I feel like I can tell my dad anything now, and honestly, it's a little uncomfortable because I'm so used to keeping everything to myself. But I know now that I can finally get started on my life, my career. This year is going to be a huge one for me. One month in and it already has been.♥

So basically, the point of this is don't be afraid of anything. If you're facing a similar situation, just get it over with. You'll feel so relieved afterwards. It may take some getting used to, but if you never face your fears in life, what's the point of living at all?

Stay inspiring.♥
-Evie


1 comment:

  1. Reading this post, I came to he conclusion that if you can be so brave, so can I. ^_^ ♥
    I'm so happy for you. Your Dad's awesome possum.

    ReplyDelete