Advice from a teenage survivor

Thursday, June 13, 2013

How to get your hair platinum blonde! (With little to no damage)

Hey guys! So I know usually on my blog, it's really heavy stuff. Well, on a lighter (bwahahaha, see? Lighter! xD No? Oh, right....sorry) note, I've decided to do a sort of tutorial on how I got my hair platinum blonde, minus the youtube video.

First, I'll start off with what I did:
So, naturally, I guess you could call my hair a dark ash blonde. It's long, and really thin. The color, since I was born with this really bold, pinkish gold color, this hair color just didn't suit me. At all. It had no dimension, and so I decided I needed a change. My hair was already dyed a goldy-color, but what I did, was I went to the store and bought the cheapest, lightest hair color I could find.

It turned my hair yellow.
(And I'm talking anime character yellow)

So, Since this was a school weekend, we bought another dye. Did the same thing, it was a little better though. So now that it was lighter, I looked up what the magical thing called toners are! We ended up getting one, and leaving this toner (Wella, T18 I believe) and left it on for ten minutes. It did a lot for my hair actually, and I liked how it looked. It was a sort of pastel color, but I still needed it blonder.

So I did it again. xD

By now, my hair wasn't really hurt. It was holding very well. :3

I ended up doing two different toners within a week, and my hair still wasn't the right color.

So finally, I sucked it up and bleached my hair.

I went the chickening-out route though. I ended up using the Feria "Absolute Platinum" kit, thinking it was some kind of magical way to get around using bleach, but no, haha it's still bleach. xD

So, I bleached it, and it dried my hair out more than I was hoping it would. It lightened like crazy, but now my hair was a dull (uneven) pastel yellow.

So I bleached it again.
And, wait for it!

I bleached it again!
But this time, I ended up using the wella, T18 toner afterwards. It did wonders for my hair color, but the condition wasn't very good.

What I recommend:
Start gradually going lighter with box dyes (they can have peroxide if you prefer the faster results). And by gradually, I mean over a span of a month or two depending on how dark your hair naturally is. Between the dying, I highly highly recommend using a hot oil treatment once a week. The hot oil treatment you can use on your hair can be a mixture of anything. Some people go really crazy with this, but I really just put a few tablespoons of olive oil with a few tablespoons of coconut oil and put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds. After you do that, I literally just spread it all over my head and sleep on it. In the morning, my hair is like silk, it's insane.

You can also use a deep conditioner to keep up with it.
Anyway, so once you've gotten your hair to some sort of blonde, then it's time to bleach it. What you do, is you go to any hair care store and get a tub of violet powder bleach, and a 20 or 30 volume developer to mix it with. This way you can avoid having to bleach more than once due to lack of product. After you bleach it, you need to do either a deep-conditioning or a hot oil treatment to make sure you don't damage it too much. If you're only bleaching once, there should be really no damage, but you're still not gonna want fluffy, lifeless hair.

Now that you've bleached, wait a day or so and use the toner. You can do it immediately afterwards, but I don't recommend it. Your hair will be in no condition to handle that. You can use any toner, but the one I've found works is T18.

Yay! If you follow these steps you should have platinum blonde hair! What you can also do to keep up with it (I haven't really found it works) is buy a purple shampoo and conditioner. They'll be specially made for platinum blondes, so they aren't too hard to find. But just remember to regularly condition your hair, and keep up with hot oil treatments. Your hair should still be in good condition after you do this.


I was going to put a list of the products I've used, but I can't remember any of them. If you have any questions just leave it in the comments. :)

Stay platinum. ;)

-Evie

No comments:

Post a Comment